Thursday, March 16, 2006

Dust i am... The Lenten Journey

102792323 6E61D941Dd


You all know, all two of you who read my blog, that I have given up meat for Lent. It has really changed my life the last couple of weeks. I avoid looking in the freezer because that is where my meat collection is, and it tempts me. Today I had my first thoughts of just giving up on it. I thought, "What does it matter?"

Other Lent experiences have been me getting sick. Last week I was in bed for two and a half days with the stomach flu. That was disgusting. I have not been sick like that in a long time. My wife did a great job of taking care of me. This week I got the cold. And right now I am sitting here sweating when all I am doing is typing. There is something wrong with me. However, the good news is... I dont have Diabetes. I got my glucose checked and I dont have it.

Anyway, all of this sickness and sacrifice has reminded me that I am very frail and mortal. It reminds of the worst thing ever said to a human in the Bible, I think. God said to the humans (all two of them), "for dust you are and to dust you will return." I am dust, nothing but dust.

Today as I was working in the warehouse, I was listening to my iPod. I was listening to the bible, specifically the book of Psalms. So along with my sickness, I realized the dirtyness of my heart. I was listening to God speak, and it hurt because I realized that I am dust.

Realizing the my dustiness has helped me appreciate redemption.
A prayer from the book of Common Prayer.

Almighty and everlasting God, you hate nothing you have made and forgive the sins of all who are penitent: Create and make in us new and contrite hearts, that we, Worthily lamenting our sins and acknowledging our wretchedness, may obtain of you, the God of all mercy, perfect remission and forgiveness; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

2 comments:

Jason Mitchell said...

Miss ya man.

I am one of the two. Start updating more!

May God give you peace as you travel the lonely road of Lent.

Peace.

m&p said...

hey man, make that list three, I enjoyed looking at your flickr pictures, looks like good times.
later